- This event has passed.
Project Dashboards in One Day using Power BI
August 9, 2016 @ 7:00 am - 4:00 pm PDT$129
Learn how to use Microsoft Power BI to unlock your Project Online / Project Server data to create Project Dashboards and more.
Project management depends on great data. It’s the lifeblood of your team for making decisions and taking action. You need data for decisions.
You’ve got to ensure you have the right data…now to answer questions like:
- Which projects are behind?
- What projects haven’t been updated in recent memory?
- Can we staff this new project?
- What active issues do we have to resolve?
- Where did all of our time go?
- And did you actually fill out your time sheet this week?!?
You need the right BI tool to get immediate access to your data. The tool flexible enough that allows you to answer the questions of today and of tomorrow.
Why you should take this course
To save time and money, in a nutshell.
According to Forrester, half of a department’s annual reporting needs are ad hoc, which works out to be about 50 reports a year. They also added that the fully loaded cost of an individual report is $3200-$6100 per report. Each report can eat up up to 32 hours of time to develop and test. That’s hundreds of thousands of dollars spent in throwaway report investment.
Learn a faster, cheaper way to explore your Project data. Power BI is well suited to enable quick ad hoc reporting where you spend the majority of the time developing the data set, rather than the individual report. This helps you save money and reduces the cost of developing ad hoc reports.
Who should take this course
If your company uses Project Online and you are a:
- Business Analyst
- Power User
- Project Server/Online Administrator
- SharePoint Administrator
You need this class if you are expected to use data from Microsoft Project to do your job effectively. The class assumes no prior knowledge of Power BI and Data Concepts
What is required for this class
- Access to your Microsoft Project Online instance
- Install Microsoft Power BI Desktop
- If you don’t have Project Online yet, don’t worry. We have one you can use, for this class.
What you will learn
In this training course you will learn how to create Project Dashboards using Power BI, from Project Server data.
You will learn how to use Power BI in a multitude of situations, including ad hoc analysis and the creation of formal dashboard. You will learn about the Power BI components: Power BI Desktop, PowerBI.com, Power BI mobile applications and how they can be used with Microsoft Project Server/Online.
You’ll also receive an introduction into the core functions of Power BI; Data extraction, loading and transformation using Power Query Formula Language (“M”) and DAX. You’ll receive some guidelines on how to extract Project data in fast manner.
You will discover some data modeling practices that will ensure you have maximum flexibility in analysis. You’ll also learn some visualization best practices to ensure you can tell your digital story effectively.
You’ll learn best practices for maintaining content with your organization. This course provides an end to end view of Power BI for Project reporting, so that you are able to use Power BI immediately for your needs.
What you will get
You’ll get the tools to immediately get started on your design. You’ll receive:
- Design spec that prompts the asking of the right questions
- PowerPoint-based layout templates for dashboard paper prototyping
- Tried and true BI design approach
- Data dictionary of the Microsoft Project data store
- Relationship diagrams for all Microsoft Project entities
5 critical value-adds you will take back to your company
- You’ll have a jump start on a standard BI development approach
- You’ll deliver new insights into your data.
- You’ll have a great understanding of how Power BI can be used and implemented
- You’ll learn techniques to make your dashboards perform well with project data
- You’ll gain insight into how others are leveraging Power BI within their companies.
How will the class be conducted?
The class will be conducted live in an 8 hour session over Skype for Business, from 8 AM – 12 PM and 1 PM to 5 PM Pacific Time, with a lunch break from 12 PM -1 PM and other breaks during the day.
The sessions will occur on Tuesday, August 9, 2016.
This class will be recorded and made available, in case you miss part of the class or are unable to attend live.
What’s the cost?
Only $129 to learn how to unlock the power of your Project data.
- Introduction to Power BI
- Getting Data from Project
- Using Power Query M for Data Retrieval and Transformation
- Data Modeling with DAX
- Data Visualization Techniques
- Content Administration and Deployment
- Licensing and Planning Considerations